I just started a small electrical fire in my grandmother’s apartment and short-circuited every plug in her house.
January 28, 2011
And she’s still really really happy I came. I think
So, who decided to plug in the one item she brought that needs a voltage converter? Noemi did. And then it started smoking. And smelling. And I kinda sat there staring at it (I blame sleep deprivation). Then I noticed none of the plugs in the house worked. Then I calmly freaked out.
NO WORRIES! Says Buna Meri. Just fix the switchboard thingy. I haven’t done it for 20 years but I’m sure it’s eaaaaaaaaaaaaaasy.
So, I had to deal with this communist-era switchboard where copper wires pop whenever you mess with the voltage (Hint: I messed with the voltage) so I basically wrapped copper wires around these ceramic tubes and screwed them back in. (I had to remove the tin or lead caps with scissors, super ghetto.) Didn’t think it would work. Actually, it didn’t the first 5 times. But now it does.
I like how I said “call an electrician” first and my grandmother looked at me sort of blankly.
I hope I never have to do something like this again. I really really have learned my lesson about voltage.